Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Little SEX (Stash Enhancement Expedition)

Today I visited a new yarn store. It's called the Katonah Yarn Company and it's in Katonah, NY. I knew of this store but I avoided it because I really didn't need anymore yarn. No, I'm not sick. I have a lot right now. My friend Toni gave me a gift card for the store so I had to check it out. It's a very cozy place. The store has a very lived in look. By that I mean that it's very comfortable looking. There are chairs, a big table in the middle of the store and a little sitting area in the back. The shelves are stocked with Noro, Debbie Bliss, Rowan, Jade Sapphire, Artyarns, Lorna's Laces, etc. I didn't know how much the gift certificate was for but Amy, one of the owners, scanned it for me. $36! I was thrilled. Toni gave me this gift on the occasion of my bat mitzvah! Nothing really caught my eye. I realized then that I had a lot of stuff at home. I perused the books she had to some idea of what to buy. I looked at Pam Allen's Scarf Style book and I remembered I always liked Ene's Scarf. They had a sample in the store. It was done in Lorna's Laces in a maroon color. Very pretty. Amy showed me that I could use Jade Sapphire Cashmere but it may be too fuzzy for the scarf. She left me alone so I could look and touch around the store.

While I was alone, I decided that this store is nice. There's nothing outstanding about it but there is a good selection of yarn. However, I could get a lot of comparable yarn from KnitPicks and other sources. The owners were friendly and when I couldn't choose between 2 colorways of yarn, Amy was there to help me decide. She even wound the hank into a ball for me on her swifter. I also had to add to the giftcard because the yarn was $54 and change. That's okay. Considering that 2 other local stores closed in the last few months, this store is a good place to get some very nice yarn. I believe they give lessons as well as classes and I signed up to get their notices via e-mail.

That was all the SEX I had today.

Today, I finished my niece's hat. That meant I had absolutely nothing on my needles to work on. Okay, I did start an afghan a while ago but I don't love it. I may rip it out. Now I have to decide whether to start to scarf or work on some socks. I forgot that I ordered yarn to make a KnitPicks pattern. Decisions, Decisions.

No comments: